Lines of Navigation

It would be impossible (and boring to some) all the ways my dad impacted my development, and life even today. I tried to break it down to the consistent undercurrent of how he lived his own life.
As this week ends, I will leave you with a few sayings passed on to my from my dad that I've mulled over and used as a compass by which to navigate my life. Maybe they'll help you as much as they have helped me.

Live your life above reproach.

You can do anything. If you can read it in a book, you can do it.

What ever you do, be your absolute best at it.

If you use it, put it back where you got it, and leave it better than you found it.

I'd like to think this last one is where he made the most impact on his planet. Watching my sibs yesterday, it was obvious that he had left his indelible mark on each of us. Even the prodigal has come home. He'd been home for about a month working alongside my dad.

Dad also got to see my first born, Kat, again the week before his death. I feel certain in his mind, he believed the family was all back together. Amazingly, Kat attended with her mother, whom I met for the first time after 23 years.
I just wish he could have seen it. I hope that he was able to look over the silver lining of a Heavenly cloud and see the party we were having in his honor, and how many people gathered together to speak well of him. I know his heart would have overflowed with joy, along with his green eyes.

I'm sure if Dad was watching, he couldn't get the grin off his face.

No comments: