The Sound of Silence

The library isn't the place it used to be. I went on a grey day after errands. I was going to look at a copy of the Sun. I took my laptop and set up camp at a large open table across from a bank of glass windows. On the other side was another long table of computer geeks staring at screens, clicking buttons and rolling mice.

Aloft I hear the inflectionless voice of a child reading. There was something all at once comforting and lullabic about this kind of reading. I don't know if it reminded me of being in school, church or just the safety of being in a relaxed environment where people could read. It made me think about the song I hear today--The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel. A song I have always liked.

I am not often in the realm of total or complete silence. Usually a radio is going, or the TV rambles in the background. Even at night I like to hear some sound. I have six options of ten second loops on an actual white noise machine with the following options: heartbeat, water, space, ocean, crickets and wind. I 'm particularly fond of ocean surf and crashing waves. I have several discs to choose from when the current one no longer sails me off to sleep.

I miss the hushed reverence in libraries. It was almost church like. where no cell phones rang, people didn't talk at full volume and whimpering children and babies were swiftly removed. I remind myself I'm not trying to take a nap at the library, just concentrate or come up with a story.

Where is silence to be found? Sometimes I travel in my car with the radio shut off, but the tires still hum or pulse on the sections lines of cement highways.
I'm listening for silence. But the truth is it could sneak up on me and I wouldn't even hear it.





2 comments:

SaoirseDaily2 said...

Julie, Loved your post. I love the library also. Thursday is my "library" day. I browse the stacks, cruise through the movie selections and look for new cd's. It is always a thrill to find just the right book for the week. Our downtown library has a bank of windows that overlooks our city's waterfalls. Such a nice place to spend the afternoon. What do you like to read?
**Peace**

Lefty Sloane said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm curious How did you find this blog? I read a lot of memoirs, screenplays and recently began reading short fiction stories for the descriptive words and the pictures they paint.