Thoughts on May 4th at Kent


There are two things etched into my brain about May 4th. The runaway girl's screaming face over the body of one victim, and the CSNY song, of which you will find neither here.
But feel free to visit my blog bud to see both.


OSU did not accept me into their interior design program. A week later, a letter from Kent State arrived.

"You've been accepted..."

In Ohio it was still on the consciousness of everyone. My youngest brother was an infant when it happened. When I came home for Christmas break in 1981, my then 12-year-old brother asked me a question that through me for a loop.

"Why are you going to a school where they are shooting people?"

"Is that what you think? That they are still shooting at people there?"

"Well, yeah."

"No. It was a day that happened over ten years ago."

I could tell by the look on his face, he didn't believe me. And he worried about me going back.

On campus, one of the guys from Verder Hall silkscreened one color t-shirts with a bull's eye on the front and back. Above the targets were the words: Kent State Student. I don't know if he sold many or got shut down.
I didn't think they were funny, and told him he was sick. But, some were determined never to forget.
Once I was leaving English class and walking around the student center for a change of pace. On the ground someone had taped the outline of a body on the ground. Everyone gave it a wide berth not wanting to walk on it. Music in the air The Doors, the Beatles, Hendricks. I felt like I was in some kind of weird time/space bubble stuck on repeat.
I wasn't there the day the four were killed, nor do I actually recall the day with any clarity. I have never seen the National Guard in formation on a campus. But I did feel a deep sadness for what had taken place there. I went to see the memorial plaque that was in the ground and the one at the back of the parking lot beside Prentice Hall. (Pictured above) My hall, not pictured here, was Verder, to the left of Prentice while looking at this photo.
I remember feeling so disappointd that the memorial for them was so small. I've heard in recent years it's been expanded. I haven't been back to see it, or the campus or Kent since I left. And the way things are going, it'll stay that way.

1 comment:

Jack Petersen said...

I remember the day well. Bad times. About a week later there was a gas attack on the campus of the Ohio State University in Columbus.

JB