Half Game

I have been taking some of my old stash of books to half price books. Everyday I go in there, I see all the walls of this collection office are stacked to the ceiling with books, plus piles on the floor, plus a huge table in fact two looking dangerously overburdened. I contribute a small stack of books to this pile weekly.

It isn't a money making scheme. You won't get rich doing this. In fact, you may end up with more books. Even if I traded all for books, they would be current to my interests. I don't know if you've ever witnessed this. I see people bring in a laundry basket, or a huge box of books and after they've been looked at the counter person says, I can give you 12 dollars. I have seen it time and again.
.

So I started with three boxes of books. I figured at that rate, I'd get 36$ for all the books. And might I add, what a rip off. Almost every book I pick up sells for 5.98 (well, the writer's books do.) or more. I look up my books on Amazon to see what they are selling for currently, and I might have figured out this little game.

Taking a dozen or less books, if you mix in a CD or two and VCR tapes (before they are entirely defunct). They will almost always pay 5 bucks or more. Provided they don't have a glut on what you have to sell. I still have 1 and 3/4 banker boxes of books to go through.

So far they have paid me 57$.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how much could you get per book if you donated them and then wrote it off your taxes?
Just a thought.
Or if your church had a rummage sale and you sold them for a buck apiece or .75 each?
What's a banker's box?
Love, Susie

Lefty Sloane said...

I have always thought a bankers box held an entire file drawer.(mine do)
Truth be told, I could probably sell them for more on Amazon. But I'm thinking that may not be as timely...

Anonymous said...

plus there's shipping cost involved, unless you make it a local sale and have them picked up.
Hmmmmmmm
love, susie