Stealing Time Part Two


Yesterday I admitted to not being a good thief, listing several ways that time is stolen from me. As I thought about it more, I realized most of us live with one very real time thief in our own homes. Do you know what I'm getting ready to say? Brace yourself--the television. Percentage of households that possess at least one television: 99
Number of TV sets in the average U.S. household: 2.24
Percentage of U.S. homes with three or more TV sets: 66

If the average person watched TV a conservative two hours a day, that comes out to 14 hours a week. In one month, that's 56 hours. In twelve months it 672 hours, or 28 days. What could you do with 28 extra days in a year?

But according to A.C. Nielsen Co., the stats are actually worse than my conservative estimate, stating the the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day.

If you watch 3 hours a day, that's 21 hours a week, 84 hours a month, 1008 hours a year: 42 days.

4 hours a day, 28 hours a week, or 56 days a year.

Number of hours per day that TV is on in an average U.S. home: 6 hours, 47 minutes. At that rate, TV is stealing over 182 hours a month. One week of every month watching television and over 90 days for the year. What could be accomplished in that amount of time?
Books could be read and written. If the average TV watching American gave up one hour a day and worked out , it would dramatically change their health and relieve some of the health care costs.

Only 49 percent of Americans recognize they watch too much TV. What about you? How much time is your TV stealing??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

None. I can't consider it stealing because I choose to watch it! And my TV time is minimal these days, thanks to Tivo. I estimate I spend about 5 hours a week watching; less or more depending on how much I've got stockpiled. And now that summer is here (with a vengeance! 111 yesterday and hotter today) I expect to watch even less. The only good-sounding shows are "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" and the one on before it that shows people just annihilating themselves on an obstacle course. Why does that fascinate me?!
Love, Susie