Knock-Knock

A friend of mine wrote recently about strangers knocking at the door. As I read his story I was reminded of several others. One woman and her room mate used to hide behind furniture, terrified to open the door. She said she'd learned it from her father who panicked every time the doorbell rang.

A guy I knew used to invite people in, even Jehovah's Witnesses, because he liked to debate with them.

I don't let strangers in unless they are fixing something or cleaning my carpets, and occasionally a woman might seem okay. When I lived in the city, I was very leery of going near the door if I wasn't expecting someone. Because I live in rural country side, I'm currently not (too) afraid to answer the door.

In fact, two days ago when the doorbell rang it was the mailman with a package. YAY!! Usually it's the pizza man, sometimes it's kids in the neighborhood asking my daughter to VBS. Until they saw she was a big kid.

Once it was a teenage door to door salesman that I didn't want to talk to, but instead of saying so, I told him when Gordo would be there. When he bravely returned, I wasn't there but Gordo was. He found out the young man was selling home education software, specifically, ACT/SAT discs. Since he thought my high school age daughter would be interested, he asked the salesman back.

And we met again-- and bought the software.
The salesman was from Montana and going to college in the fall. His uncle was a screen writer, the salesman had a MySpace page and that he worked for the Southwest Book company.

Gordo had just bought a book "the book of wisdom" which referenced the Southwest Book Company. He'd bought two copies and gave this young man one when he returned with our software.

Today when I answered the door, little neighbor girls were advertising their lemonade stand. Normally I wouldn't pay 50 cents for a half glass of anything let alone a sugar sweetened drink.

But we have to encourage the next generation of entrepreneurs.

When life knocks at the door, at least look through the peep hole. You never know, life comes with fun surprises too.

No comments: