All I Hear is the Silence

What do you think about when you wake up at night and it's so quiet?
All I hear is the silence and feel the peace. My thoughts come and go like tuning in a radio.
God's presence feels palpable when everyone sleeps and life energy drops to a low hum.
Sometimes I wish I could be awake to enjoy twilight more often. It's as though all the secrets of the world wait to be unlocked by the ones who stay up late pondering them.
I used to paint into the night listening to instrumental jazz. At that time, my second floor studio overlooked a parking lot guarded by a live oak hung with yards of spanish moss. I worked uninterupted from 11:00 p.m. until three a.m.
I'd change down the lights, have a glass of wine in a room illuminated by white twinkle lights. I'd stand at the window, winding down with my glass on the sill.
When I looked toward the north east, I'd see the lights of Jacksonville on the horizon. The air was full of promise, and I believed that anything was possible. My life could turn on a dime and change completely.
It still could.
Sometimes when I see people I haven't seen for a long time they'd say,
"Are you famous yet?" I always wondered where my life would lead, what it was people saw in me that wasn't in everyone else.
I still wonder.

1 comment:

Jack Petersen said...

My time of day is the dark time,
a couple of deals before dawn,
when the street belongs to the cop
and the janitor with the mop,
and the grocery clerks are all gone.

When the smell of the rain washed pavement
comes up clean, and fresh, and cold,
and the streetlamp light
fills the gutters with gold

That’s my time of day.

My time of day …


GUYS AND DOLLS. Love it. Always have.

JB