Finish Strong

It’s August. We’re a little better than halfway through the year, and it seems like a good time to take out that list of goals we wrote out earlier, in January, and blow the dust off of them. (Hey back there, do I hear whining?)

I stumbled upon mine yesterday while trying to find a printer driver disc. The list laid out most days, ignored, to be glanced in a moment and prompt me to keep on track. In all honesty, another paper had been laid on it “temporarily” (three months ago) blocking my view and of course, all progress.

The last time I even thought about it was before summer started. I’ve managed to keep up with three out of… sixteen goals: write every day, blog twice a week and read aloud in writers group. As of a week ago, I'd gotten on track with six additional ones almost by osmosis.

Needless to say, a few things that I thought priorities six months ago have more or less taken a back seat due to a couple setbacks. If I scratch those until next year, all of which have to do with a book, it knocks off three. Now I’m doing better than half of my list. I have not read two books a week, more like two books a month. Even my magazines lay unfinished.

So far, my goal of 100 “sent” a year is currently at 32 (instead of 64). I can still meet 100 if I send 17 per month for the rest of the year. I’m hoping for a much better next year. I aspire to be on track and get to my five a week goal. If I could maintain that through from now through May, I’d be into a hundred before Summer hit.

Crazy as it sounds, I’m only concerned with getting the words out, and that isn't the goal. What in the world might happen if I actually get replies andmags want me to write for them?
It sounds like the beginning of a career...

No comments: