My writing friend Lori wonders how do I write everyday?
My youngest is 17, gets her own breakfast, plans her own entertainment and writes also.

It seems easy to me to write, trading one discipline for another. Almost ten years ago, as a potter, my day began with making coffee and heading to the studio to make pots, or bowls. I took weekends off, usually just Sundays.
It took a while to find a groove but once I did, it became a habit.

I didn't have another job, and my daughter then was a self starter. I tired of being in the basements of houses, especially in Summer. When the transition came for me to begin writing, the go to your routine ritual had been established.

It seems for years, I had been stacking up words like cordwood and now they've been called upon. All those unexpressed thoughts finding their voice, riding the pen to paper. Before that, I did write, sporadically in letters and journals. I had as many as six penpals at a time. No one could keep up for very long. I burned them all out. None of them write me today.

You may wonder like I did, why didn't anyone ever tell me I was to be a writer? I think of all the time I wasted chasing silly things...


Finding smidgens of time in between children and life events may seem difficult, and it is at times. It's all material. I have a dozen sparking ideas everyday, anyone of which could catch fire and turn into an essay.

At last count, I had 249 essays in need of edits. And I still write everyday.
The 365 blog was never my idea, until I read about it on Lori's blog. And what began as a challenge, to help me think in filler sized posts became my life raft. If I didn't get anything else done, I had at least one focus 3oo words or less of postable material.

Currently, this makes 192 posts. Minus four or five, that's how long my dad's been gone.
If you want to write every day, it doesn't matter if you complete a saleable essay. But get it down. That's all. It's the goal. Write something. Anything. If you don't write today, the goal is still to write everyday. Write tomorrow. A quote, your take on a Bible passage, that client that makes you nuts, that friend that always smiles at you. Whatever hurts, whatever you cherish, what makes a good day, a bad day. My words of wisdom, never give up.

No comments: