Tailor Made

My friend LV wanted me to tell this story because we were talking about the tailor made blessings from the Lord. It started a couple of weeks ago when our bible study was talking about icons of faith. My mind went to icons of people, specifically the image of a sailboat always reminding me of my dad. Not long after that, my father passed away.

About a week later, I wrote a poem called My Dad is a Sailboat. I was very happy with the way it turned out.
Two months later, when we were sorting through stuff, the kids went through boxes of beads and related items. Sam ended up with the bulk of it. However, the day we came home with some of his personal belongings, we were still raw with emotion and a strange obsessive materialism that wasn’t me. I didn’t NEED the stuff I’d brought home. It was as though I was looking for him in it.
“Mom, I found something I bet you’ll like.” She held up a little brass sculpture about 2 ½
Inches tall. A sailboat. When I saw it, I knew I didn’t need another thing. And really, I didn’t need the sailboat. I just knew that it was the perfect size, a little two sail deal and I would remember him every time I saw it. Sam and I called that a postcard from Heaven. And peace came with it.
Anyway, that’s the story. I hope you liked it.

No comments: