In Cognito

While watching television the other day, I almost missed Campbell’s soup touting the fact that their select soups are MSG free. Meaning no Monosodium glutamate. I thought there had been a ban on MSG back in the 80’s, didn't you?

Although I have yet to confirm that, it was on the table as being problematic, I decided to so some research about MSG.

It’s back, and it’s turning up in all the wrong places, mainly our food and according to some people, even in vaccinations. A site that is warning about the ills associated with MSG www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm lists alternative names and other additives with which MSG is added and therefore dodges the legal requirement to be listed.

There are also 115 cited studies that link MSG to obesity, as one astute writer put it, “MSG is the Nicotine for food.” and causes addictive over-eating. A second major concern, aside from all the medical difficulties associated with obesity,(diabetes, heart trouble, neuropathy, vein blockage and stressed adrenal glands) is blindness.

Lately two friends of mine suffered ocular troubles with no apparent cause for onset.
Armed with new information, I sauntered to my pantry hoping against hope that I didn't have any MSG laden foods lurking there. Much to my dismay, I was proven wrong.
Out of 14 cans of soup, one of them Campbell’s Mushroom, all fourteen listed Monosodium glutamate. I put them all in a grocery bag and intend to return them to the store where I bought them.

Additionally, every other brand of soup I had contains Msg.


These ALWAYS contain MSG:
Glutamate Glutamic acid, Gelatin Monosodium glutamate, Calcium caseinate, Textured protein, Monopotassium glutamate, Sodium caseinate, Yeast nutrient, Yeast extract, Yeast food, Autolyzed yeast, Hydrolyzed protein (any protein that is hydrolyzed), Hydrolyzed corn gluten, Natrium glutamate (natrium is Latin/German for sodium)

And as you can imagine, there are many more names under which such a chemical is hidden.
These OFTEN contain MSG or create MSG during processing. I'll give you the short list of the ones I see in my own food labels:
Carrageenan, Maltodextrin, Malt extract, Natural pork flavoring Citric acid, Bouillon and Broth, Natural chicken flavoring
Soy protein isolate, Whey protein isolate, Natural flavor(s) & flavoring(s), Enzymes anything Seasonings (the word "seasonings"). There are easily two dozen more, and much more information of which to plumb.

They advertise the things that are good for us and make you pay more for them. Ask yourself this one thing, if it’s good for you, why do they keep changing the name and trying to hide it? They haven’t hidden things that are good from us, have they?

For more information check out this site: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html
I'd be interested in what you think.

1 comment:

phinz said...

Dude. Scary. I'll be in the pantry with a magnifying glass (dang--maybe the eye problems are already starting). :0(