I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions. I either start in November or February with a life style change, so that I don’t lose heart when my regimen doesn’t go according to plan. It's a lifestyle change, meaning I'm adding it to my life no matter how long it takes.

This stems from having failed at diet programs after being obsessed with the scale. Four years ago I began one that required food combining. Although I felt better, and lost a few pounds, I quickly slid off track when my weight plateau-ed. When restarting the program, the hyper-fake voice of the author set me on edge.

I’ve walked, because I heard it’s great for losing 20 pounds. That never happened. I felt more fit, and continue to work out, but I think the trick with walking is to stay out of the kitchen as long as possible…

I’ve biked, crunched, ellipted, Jane Fonda's with aerobic, I synchronized with Denise Austen, exercised, lifted weights and Pilate-ed with several different instructors and I’m not complaining about the strength and flexibility I’ve gained, but I didn’t lose weight. I had a very fit and toned heavy body. Not thinner not lighter.
I tried making peace with my size. Then a sale would come along and I'd be forced to go shopping for clothes. When the size I chose didn’t fit, all I could see in the mirror were all the lumps and curves. All I felt was a growing disgust with a body that seemingly refused to take the right shape and be less all the way around. I promised to starve myself thin again, and fail after a few days. I’d eat lo-cal, no fat, no sugar, no taste foods. All to no avail.
Meanwhile, my exercise buddy shed weight like a snowman in a heatwave.

The most weight I’ve lost in the last five years is about ten pounds, and that might be a stretch. It didn’t stay off and when it came back it brought a few friends.
When I heard someone lost 40 pounds with this book and kept it off, I thought, that’s what I need! A Christian Twelve Step weight loss program.

The book arrived Saturday. The first chapter is so easy, this blonde had no trouble reading through the first lesson. Even though I didn’t know what to expect, I already feel different. I’m only on the first chapter which breaks into daily lessons. I'll finish in twelve weeks. I’ll let you know at the end of each week, how much I’ve lost. Forty pounds in three months would be amazing, but I would be thrilled with 20—my pre-wedding weight. Especially, if I kept it off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be curious to hear how it goes and how hard or easy it is to live with. I'm not fat, but I remember a much thinner version of me just before I had my son.
KP

Lefty Sloane said...

Yeah, well, we should know before too long...