Slaying the Query Demon

I've always heard it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Usually, I don't ascribe to such things--heck, yes I do. I just can't be a blind rule follower. I read the information regarding publishers, their requirements double spaced, typed, snail-mailed Time New Roman (boring) with clips and a query. It's a little daunting at times.

I want to move into a new vein of writing, and the one thing that prevents me is having the right clips. Lo and behold, I discovered a publication that would at least commit to reviewing the work. They'll even make suggestions. Even though it's already completed in my own perspective, they want to see it. Can you believe it? Opening door?

I actually have one such article completed. It's ready to travel. But there's the matter of the letter of introduction. I know I'm not the only one who wrestles words onto paper, in fact, another writer friend recently agonized over similar trouble.

Having read truly atrocious magazine queries I think I'mon relatively safe ground. There's even a website that offers query letter helps. Between the two of those, I'm stamping envelopes this week. Then I start thinking, "Why do I feel so light headed? Why is my heart racing?"

I realize that every time I think about this I start holding my breath. So if that's you too just breathe... let it go. I'm leaning on this one verse, not a request, but a command:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you."
Matthew 7:7
How can I travel all this way, stand in front of the door and then wait, doing nothing? Because I'm afraid? Of what? It seems silly when I write it out. And I have to say, the next part of the verse should be incentive enough to follow through...

"For everyone who asks receives;
he who seeks finds;
and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."
Matthew 7:8

1 comment:

phinz said...

This is today's quote in The Beauty Within that you sent me:
"With each new experience
of letting God be in control, we gain courage and reinforcement for daring to do it again and again."
--Gloria Gaither
I'm sensing a circle here . . .
love, Susie