The Butterfly of Creativity

“Happiness is like a butterfly, the more you chase after it the more it eludes you. But if you sit quietly, it will come and rest on your shoulder.”

When I hung out with artists, we talked about creative influences, we talked about art, color schemes, mediums. Only once in all the years I created, did I understand the word muse. And then, it had been half of the downtown gallery name. A Muse. Which I likened to amuse. Amusement.

Since hanging out with writers, muse is spoken about and gets taken a little too seriously even in Christian circles. That concerns me.


According to Greek mythology there are nine muse, goddesses who inspire artists, musicians, writers and poets and that these immortal beings are the daughters of Mnemosyne who were fathered by Zeus.


When a writer wants to be inspired, they call up the muse, or attempt to. It seems they are fickle. They don’t like to be commanded…
I once saw a movie starring Albert Brooks called The Muse. He gets fired from a writing job and suddenly hits a wall. A successful friend suggests for a muse. He rushes to get this muse and get his life on track.


Truthfully, I don’t remember how it ends. I just remember that if he’d spent all his energy trying to write instead of entertaining and pacyfying the muse, he’d have been farther along.


As I sit in front of my PC this morning, I’m glad to know the source from which all creativity springs. I never lack for ideas, and don’t have to waste time finagling favors from an overly sensitive muse.

1 comment:

Jack Petersen said...

Your post appeals to me a great deal. Being somewhat of a romantic, I prefer the idea of courting a fickle muse much more than the thought that I might be somewhat brain dead. Good job.

JB