PC Freeze


It never ceases to amaze me how a computer that was working perfectly fine one minute can fritz out in the next. Yesterday I wrote a scene in my screenplay while listening to Bob Dylan’s Blind Willie Mc Tell. It repeated several times before I noticed, instead of moving on to the next song. In an attempt to shut it down, I failed to remove the disc.


I couldn’t budge it to work with or with out the disc. Then my Final Draft program failed to work. I shut it down and tried to restart Final Draft. An error message explained that Final Draft could not be found. I hit the start button, the menu opened and I clicked on restart.
Nothing happened. Three times nothing happened. I went to the power button and held for ten seconds until the computer screen blacked out. It’s sort of the Vulcan pinch for computers.
When I rebooted, of course the computer recognized it had shut down under less than ideal circumstance. But after accepting the option to restart normally, the computer opened up same as always. Music program intact, my script changes intact.
How does a shut down reset a computer?

2 comments:

SavageWit said...

I'm afraid that we computer geeks keep the mystery of the reboot a closely guarded secret. If it were discovered that I revealed anything to you, I would be taken away in the middle of the night and you would have Black Helicopters following you.

You must understand that this is for your own good. Microsoft says to reboot, so we reboot.

Anonymous said...

If God had wanted us to know these things, we would have all been born computer literate.

Love, Susie