Do You?


Why do you write? A question as old as writing itself. A question with as many answers as writers. Instead, let me ask not why you write, but do you like writing?
I read this morning in a work shopping book by Alan Ziegler that he like to have written, a sentiment shared by Dorothy Parker.
When I was an artist, I loved to have created. To me the reward dwelt in the end product, the mosaic, the painting, the photograph. I started to realize some processes weren’t as fun as others. It became a battle to finish the projects I’d started. I called it losing heart.

When I lived in Florida, I heard the phrase, “Getting there is half the fun.” I’ve since adopted this sentiment in dealing with all my creative ventures. It helps me decide if certain projects are worth investing in. I used to think I wanted to make stained glass projects. I don’t. I like looking at it. I saved myself thousands of dollars and a small fortuen in bandages. If it’s not fun getting there, maybe it’s the wrong vehicle for the trip.

I enjoy writing. If half the fun is getting there, published, I am more in love with getting there than being there. The Island of Published is like being on a vacation. I can’t really live in a vacation spot. It’s a great place to visit and absorb the local flavor, but the novelty wears off all too soon. Besides, if you live there, it’s no longer a vacation, it’s home.

I do like to have written. Somewhere hidden in my computer is an ever growing file of essays that I hope to polish for submission this year, one for every working day. It’s only May. I think I can get my 13 in play and make my goal of 100 submissions.
So back to the question: Do you like to write?

No comments: