In the Beginning

Have I always loved beginnings? Sometimes not. Beginnings are fraught also with many unknowns, many hiddens. The beginning of a baby’s life, when every dream could still be realized, every hope fulfilled and the most amazing life any two parents could imagine seems possible. The beginning of a trip when it is full of unrealistic fantastical promise. The beginning of a book, like a new love interest before you get to know them: Both are perfect .
At the beginning of a new job I envied those already comfortable there, already in the flow, already taking their jobs for granted. In a new city, I envied those who made themselves right at home wherever they were making it look as though they had always been there, living their lives.
I don’t always despise beginnings. On the mornings that I was first to walk the beach, or only thought so because the ocean erased all traces of those who had gone before me, I felt like the only person in the world at the beginning of time.
I’m three years into a writing career and every time I pull out a new notebook or click on the new page in Word, I restart, begin again. Every story, every article every essay. Maybe it is the continuous supply of new beginnings that keeps me interested.
What are you beginning?

3 comments:

Jack Petersen said...

Every day is a beginning - sometimes several times a day. You've found my secret.Every time I'm with people - even friends - there are new possibilities, new directions. Exciting,isn't it?

JB

Lefty Sloane said...

yes, it really is. I heard a quote attributed to Garrison Keillor that I'm trying to remember to live by: "It's all material."
My cousin and I have one between us when bad things happen too: "It's going into the lemonade."

Anonymous said...

We've got a huuuuuge vat o' lemonade already!
Love, Susie