In Recognition...

I have a friend who uses one of his awards for a door stop. I've always liked that about him. He's about as self deprecating as I am.

We all know there are awards out there that, when they are granted, the ceremony is televised. Some people work their entire lives hoping to achieve some kind of recognition. Many of us work in less visible jobs, behind the scenes just doing our thing. I am definitely one of those. I didn't want to go into acting because I am not a spot light kind of girl. The camera doesn't like me as well as some others, I have a pretty typical body type that even when I work out looks like I need to work out and my hair is perfectly fine every single day except when it might be photographed. Fortunately, that look is "in".
I dreamed up every excuse to avoid attending the ceremony that wanted to award me for some act of benevolence I barely recall. But the woman who called me is so dear, and I like her so much, I said if my plans changed, I would reconsider.

Then my plans changed. Realizing I'm fresh out of excuses, I reconsider the award, and attend the ceremony which is more about the kids and their accomplishments. Thre of them speak about two unconventional schools in my county. How it worked for them. When someone is into their third year with only 5 credits and they suddenly catch a vision for their future, they conquered subjects that were previously ruining their self-esteem.
Some of them were growing by being around horses, others were doing it by being around art. They were able to get through their tough times, get their credits and graduate. The next thing they know, they have 10 credits in a year and graduation is actually on the horizon instead of a pipe dream.
It always blows my mind to hear about the 180 degree turnaround.
The first part of hopeless is still hope.
I believe in long shots, underdogs and against all odds. Every time somebody comes back from the edge of almost didn't make it my belief is confirmed.
And even hearing that would have been payment enough for me.
But, they gave me a beautiful MVP certificate and an even more beautiful diamond shaped crystal with Brilliant engraved in it.
You know what?
A pat on the back is a nice experience every now and again.
Thanks, I needed that.

No comments: