Rain Power

I'd just returned home when the rain really started coming down. I like the sound of rain. I like sleeping with the window open and listening to it tapping the aluminum spouting and dripping off the lilac foliage and the shushing sound it makes when cars drive on wet roads.
I'd settled into bed, pulled up the sheets and began winding down.

And then it happened.
The sound of rain tapping and dripping became magnified when all other competing sounds flat lined. The power had gone out. Instead of fading quickly to Nature's sweet lullaby, I began worrying.

What if the sump pump fills up before the power comes on? What about taking showers in the morning, and breakfast? What about coffee? How will my we get the car out of the garage? I drifted off to a sweet sleep between 11 and 12, still no power.

A few hours later, I awoke alert enough to notice the rain had stopped. I resumed my worrying, I heard the sump pump kick on, run and shut off. I looked to see the night light on down the hall.

I turned over, drifting back to blissful repose. I'd overdone my work out--the first in just over two months. Every muscle throbbed and ached.

But the power was back and I went to sleep anyway.

No comments: