A Sailboat Story

My friend wanted me to tell you this story because we were talking about the tailor made blessings from the Lord.
It started a couple of weeks ago when a covenant bible study group was talking about icons of faith.
My mind went to icons of people, specifically the image of a sailboat always reminding me of my dad.
Not long after that, my father passed away.
A few weeks after he was gone, I wrote a poem called My Dad is a Sailboat. I was very happy with the way it turned out.

Two months after he was gone, when two brothers and I were sorting through stuff, the kids went through a box of Indian beads and related items. Sam ended up with the bulk of it.

However, the day we came home with those personal belongings, we were still raw with emotion and a strange obsessive materialism that wasn’t me. I didn’t NEED the stuff I’d brought home. It was as though I was looking for him in those items.

“Mom, I found something I bet you’ll like.” Sam held up a little brass sculpture about 2 ½ inches tall.

A sailboat. When I saw it, I knew I didn’t need anything else.

And really, I didn’t need the sailboat, but I like it and will remember him every time I see it.
Sam and I called that a postcard from Heaven. Peace replaces the weird materialism.

Anyway, that’s the story. I hope you liked it.

No comments: