Telescope Eyes

Does anyone ever really get used to being edited? Or do we just thicken our hides put our crash helmets on and plunge ahead... head first, at the speed of light?

Why do we do this?

Is it the nature of the writer to write? To be heard? To be understood?

At one time or another, I have wanted all of those things. It is always touching to me to not only be understood, but to touch the heart of the one who reads, to haunt the minds of others with the stories that haunt me. To leave my questions in the hearts of someone in whom they just might sprout and grow. To hear the words, "You moved me, that was brilliant. Great story."

I hear this song Telescope Eyes by Eisly when I'm being edited. I try to remember that the editor's job is to clarify what I have left muddy, to peer into the dark corners that I have painted over.

Even when it hurts. Especially if it hurts.

Kudos to Elizabeth Oliver of Rambler for shining the light where I didn't want to look, so that in the process I can become a better writer. I believe every great editor is a great writer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Editing always sucks and I'm always better for having it, but I never love the process-- it's like the dentist's office for me.

I've been pondering the nature of the creative person myself and I think there's a desire to share something or respond to something that requires being understood. But it may be something deeper in our nature because I know feeling like I haven't been understood is one of my big hot buttons.

KP

Anonymous said...

niiiiiiiice. Did I mention I bought this song? Along with Marvelous Things. I like that one too. Nice props to ur editor, who ever does that? Original.

Lefty Sloane said...

I am going to ponder that. I think it's a valid point. I think I have gone a little crazy forcing people to understand me. Especially from an aesthetic standpoint. NOw that I'm writing, I let it go more often, and vent about it on paper.

Lefty Sloane said...

Sam- really? Bring it.