Angeline Arms



You wonder sometimes how you survive some things in life. When you look back at the wreckage of your soul, if it was someone else you think, "I'd feel something more about this."

But it's not someone else's life. It's mine. And I think of how my shock meter is so bent, that the things that should shock me don't. That I talk about a relative's attempted suicide like milk is two bucks a gallon surprises some.

People don't always know how you got to be where you are today. If you're blond or beautiful, if you're smiling and relatively happy, if you are successful or seemingly so, people may even think life's been easy.

and nothing could be farther from the truth.

Thank God for guardian angels.

3 comments:

Jack Petersen said...

I disagree slightly.

To survive life is easy. You simply turn off. Many people do it.

But to continue life ... Ah, that's the challenge.

JB

Anonymous said...

I think when it's a story, even about someone's real life, you can give yourself to it freely and feel it fully because you get to go home and leave it either at the library or at the coffee house. But when it is your life you experience it fully at the time and then again as memories, so you don't have the same reaction-- and sometimes you have to get a little clinical because you can't do anything about that relative. But I'm the daughter of a paramedic and a social worker-- I handle big things and cry over the dropped ice cream cone. So maybe I'm not the most helpful...
KP

Lefty Sloane said...

Jack: So true. Did anyone else besides me survive 13 -25 shut down?

KP: HA! You have a unique perspective. I'm the one who fights crying at sad movies, even when I'm alone. I can hang with you and dropped ice cream cones. Maybe I'm missing something.