Honest Work

March 1st 08
My father instilled in me a very strong work ethic. Show up on time, do what you’re getting paid to do. Leave it like you found it, or just a little bit better. Honesty is the best policy.
I was a firm believer in greener pastures when it came to work after a firm where my dad worked cut him loose after a decade and a half of faithful service. My new motto became do unto them before they do unto you.
I haven’t always been so quick to follow that adage, especially if I liked the work. But I had a healthy attitude toward moving on in general and work was no different. If I could learn the job they were usually mine to keep until I got bored, restless or wanted to learn something new.
By far and away my favorite job in Florida was getting paid to sit in the sun drawing caricatures. The pay was great, usually they were party bookings and everyone was having a great time. I met a lot of interesting people from all over the US because they were visiting. I liked the weather for the most part, never minded the heat or the humidity.
It’s those blasted tornados. We left a short time after Andrew hit Homestead. Seems like that was a good move given the frequency and velocity of storms since.
Five jobs you might not know I worked:
Egg Collector on chicken farm
Loading M-80’s
Silkscreen pressing t-shirts
Avon Lady
Waitress in Chinese Restaurant

Five That Let Me Go
Custard Stand (couldn’t learn the menu)
Schwanie’s Pub (only worked Tuesday’s)
Iacono’s (wouldn’t work Tuesday’s)
Koenig Art Emporium (Downsizing)
Optic Nerve (talking about Jesus, not their given reason)

No comments: